Pages

Sunday 29 May 2011

RAVVA APPALU (RAVVA CAKES)


RAVVA APPALU (RAVVA CAKES) CELEBRATING My 50th Post

This is my 50th post after publishing my blog and I am very much cheerful for achieving this with in short time and I would like you to share my joy and happiness in this regard.

I would like to welcome any comments and thoughts on my blog and the dishes I posted till date and I am very much thankful for my followers and regular visitors and viewers for visiting my blog and each and every visit of you boosts my strength and will to publish more posts in future 

Todays recipe is a simple, quick and easy that is serve as dessert. I made this recipe on the occasion of Hanuman jayanthi. We call it Appalu in our region and This is also main neivedhyam recipe for Lord Hanuman. Appalu ia an traditional dish in India. 




Ingredients:
  • Ravva (Suji, Godhuma nooka) - 2 cup
  • Sugar - 3 cups (Adjust to your taste)
  • Milk - 4 cups
  • Cardamom (Elachi) powder - 1 tsp
  • Ghee 1 tbsp
  • Cashew nuts - 1/2 cup
  • Oil - for deep frying
Ingredients for the batter:
  • All-purpose flour (Maida) - 1/2 cup
  • Rice flour (Vari pindi) - 2 tbsp
  • Sugar - 1 tbsp


Method:
  • Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and fry ravva on low flame for about 3-4 min. This would prevent lumps when added to milk. Take care not to burn/change the color of ravva. Keep aside.
  • Now add the sugar and cardamom powder to ravva and mix well.
  • Bring milk to boil in a heavy bottemed pan on medium flame and slowly add the ravva mixture to milk while mixing gently to avoid any lumps.Reduce heat to mediumlow now.
  • Cover it and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch of the flame. Stir well and allow it to cool.
  • Grease your hands with ghee, take a spoonful of mixture, shape them into round balls and flatten them into a circle shape (like tikkis/patty). Alternately you can use a banana leaf or zip lock cover to make the Appalu.
  • Dress up some cashew nuts on top of the Appalu, It enhance the taste of it.
  • Arrange all of them on a greased plate.
  • Heat oil in a pan on medium flame.
  • In a small bowl mix all-purpose flour, rice flour, sugar and little water and make a batter similar to dosa batter.
  • Now take the flatten ball and dip into the batter and carefully drop into the hot oil. Do not over crowd the pan.
  • Fry them till they turn golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil and drain them on a paper towel.
  • Now ready to serve the Appalu. They should melt soft in your mouth as you bite them.
  • You can store Appalu upto 1 week even not being refrigerated

Njoy this delicious dish with your family and wish you all the best:-)

    1 comments:

    aipi said...

    Congrats dear ~ keep up the great work!
    US Masala

    Post a Comment